Discovering fun, new words

Distributed to email subscribers on May 20, 2010


Call me strange, but I get a little rush when I discover a new word.

Flipping through a dictionary doesn’t count. It has to be a chance encounter with the new-to-me word.

I trip across them while reading books, blogs and my favourite magazines, or friends play these wild new words to rack up points during our Lexulous and Scrabble matches. There's a lot to be said for the magic of language.

The whacked scientific terms I find at work don’t usually count, but yesterday I found a doozer while looking for a French term in the federal translation database. I needed to know the French equivalent for freezer/cold room and the database spat out this gem: pièce frigorifique. Not saying I agree with the translation, but who knew that anything could be frigorifique?

AWESOME!

Comments

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms