Brushing shoulders with the real deal

Studying in Montréal gave me the chance to visit the Forum repeatedly and to walk where hockey heroes made NHL and bleu-blanc-et-rouge history (e.g., Maurice Richard, Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy, Toe Blake, Jean Béliveau, Guy Lafleur, Jacques Plante, Yvan Cournoyer).

Here on PEI, hockey players and golfers are used to seeing Sidney Crosby out and about, but this week, two hockey legends and national treasures graced our shores: Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr.

I was fortunate to co-organize the event that drew the latter to PEI. Even as a longtime Habs fan, I must confess that I was awestruck by the celebrated Bruins defenceman. Bobby Orr earned so many important titles during his career, and it was refreshing to witness that he’s still a class act and inspires others to this day.

Brushing shoulders with the real deal …

      AWESOME!

(Although admittedly, I will always associate #4 with 10-time Stanley Cup champion Jean Béliveau.)

Bobby Orr at the National Research Council Canada (NRC),
September 10, 2012, Charlottetown, PEI.

Comments

  1. I had the B&W picture of Bobby from the back of the Bic pen pack hanging on the wall over my bed when I was wee (even though I, too, was a Habs fan through and through). I adored him. Lucky you, Lise, to have had the opportunity to meet him!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms