Back-to-school anticipation

As students and teachers head back to classes today, doesn’t it remind you of all the unknowns of a new school year?

Those final days in August served up countless questions.   
  • Will my best friend be in the same class as me?
  • If not, will I meet new friends?
  • Am I going to like my teacher?
  • What will I learn this year? (In my case, what books will we read?)
  • Will anyone have the same lunchbox, pencil case, outfit…as mine? You know, the fruits from that back-to-school shopping expedition for new supplies and clothes.
  • Will I score a desk in the right part of the best row?
  • Will I have a zit-free and good-hair day for the first day of school?
  • Where will my locker be and how far will it be from homeroom? What should I hang inside my locker door?
  • Is the same bus driver going to pick me up at my stop?
  • Will I find my classroom before the bell rings?
And for those extra awkward years requiring you to switch schools…
  • What if I don’t like my new school?
  • Will I find my way around the building?
  • [Repeat all questions from the first part of this post.]
You count the dodos until classes resume, because you want answers to the questions replaying in your head. Oddly enough, that desire conflicts with not wanting summer to end and can even keep the best of sleepers wide awake long after bedtime.

Oh, the possibilities! By Labour Day, your hopes and fears culminate in dizzying back-to-school anticipation.

        AWESOME!

Comments

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms