Back-to-school shopping

Today, back-to-school shopping is all about new laptops, cellphones and funky wardrobes of fashionable clothing.

In my day, the excitement of gearing up for school was about less expensive, basic items. Don’t get me wrong; however small, I still anticipated that haul in a big way.

So much so that I still smile when I see Hilroy notebooks, colourful pencil crayons or even those protractor kits in tiny tins.

Call me a geek, but as much as I loved summer weather, I was excited about back-to-school rituals. Getting a new pencil case that didn’t have frayed bits catching in its zipper or maybe another lunch box if last year’s was rusting out or the thermos was leaky. I know, I’m old. This was long before the neoprene bags of today.

I always looked forward to heading back to the classroom. Writing out my binder divider tabs for each subject. Choosing photos and stuff to decorate the inside of my locker.

Tucking new books and all those back-to-school goodies into a knapsack/backpack and heading off to class…

AWESOME!

Comments

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms