Winning the earthworm obstacle course

Spring and fall tend to bring lots of showers.

Those heavy rains flush earthworms out of their subterranean existence by the hundreds. The worms are strewn about every paved area, leaving you with little choice but to tread carefully, tiptoeing in search of worm-free spots to step.

I admit there’s another option, but as a gardener who appreciates those hardworking earthworms, I simply cannot bear to just stomp my way through their path. I know that certain varieties of worms can regenerate parts of their bodies, but I doubt a worm would survive to multiply if my boot or shoe crushed it under my full weight.

As much as rainy days can suck, there’s some joy in making it across your driveway or parking lot without slipping on any long, slimy worms. Outmaneuvering nature, maintaining your composure and winning the earthworm obstacle course…

AWESOME!

Comments

  1. I try to avoid the worms, not so much because I'm afraid I'll kill them, but because I don't want worm guts on my shoes. Does that me shallow and superficial?! P.S. Almost wiped out on the front steps this morning. Slippery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shoes are so fab that I can understand why you'd avoid coating them in worm guts, Cindy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms