Initiation into a polar bear swim club

Polar bear swims aren't for the faint of heart.

Loved ones and gawking spectators may write you off as having snapped. They may worry and even try to talk you down off the ledge.

Even still, on January 1st, people brave cold weather and chilly waters to take part in polar bear swims in Canada, the U.S. and Nordic countries.

What is the attraction?

Simply put, I'd have to say it is testing your mettle. These swims pose physical and psychological challenges, not the least of which is showing up in public in a bathing suit when you are at your palest, with a body you've subjected to far too many Christmas meals and treats.

Overcoming the challenges and braving the frigid waters can be more than just a fresh way to start the year. Getting initiated into the exclusive polar bear swim club is a rewarding, invigorating and exhilarating adventure.

The fact that a great friend took the chilly 2011 plunge with me and that my loving hubby snapped photos and served as a devoted pit crew armed with warm gear, well that made the feat extra cool and dare I say

AWESOME!

Comments

  1. Your polar swim reminded me of the first time i stood on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean near Peggy's Cove.
    I was from Toronto. It was June.
    I kicked off my sandals and with great delight took a running leap into the surf.
    Before my shriek ended, i was being swept off my frozen feet into the arms of my maritime beau.
    AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms