Getting called something other than your given name(s)

I’m not counting cases of mistaken identity, an obnoxious ma’am label or any derogatory names. And I say other than your given name, because I’m definitely not including when parents call out your full name, complete with strong emphasis on your middle and family names. That's just no fun at all.

No, I’m thinking of the names that make you smile. Tell me you don’t get all warm and fuzzy when you hear a childhood nickname, a lover’s pet name or an endearing workplace handle. Aren’t you proud when you are called Auntie, Nana, Sweetie, Ma tante, Mom-mom, Cool Uncle Mike, Max, Mr. B., Cindy Lou Who?

Sure! That’s what I’m talking about. [Token Gru-ism for the “Despicable Me” fans who read my blog.]

Growing up, we had a few names that could be applied to any of us girls. For example, if we wriggled out of our swimsuits and streaked across the beach or through the house, we would be called Lady Godiva. Oddly enough, I cannot recall any of us ever riding bareback through town in nothing but a birthday suit.

Another moniker was Lady Jayne, which was often preceded by “Don’t be saucy.” We could pretty much guarantee we’d hear that name whenever we became too wound up and silly. If you received the Lady Jayne label, then you knew that meant business, but even still it would send us into fits of laughter. To this day, I’m not sure of the origins of Lady Jayne, and I never saw it in writing, but I have no doubt mom would spell Jayne the fancy way.

In my books, hearing someone call you something other than your given name is

AWESOME!

So, what names do you delight in being called?
I'd love to know. Who am I to ask this of you? Well, feel free to pick from my many aliases below...

Comments

  1. Thing One,

    Your awesome triggered some great memories for me today. I initially thought, "I don't have many nicknames." But then I realized that, actually, I have been called some pretty sweet (and not-so-pleasant) things other than my given names.

    My dad used to call me his "little angel" and "sugar" and my sister Shevon used to call me "kiddo" and "fart" all the time ... even well into my 30s. They have both passed on and recalling these endearing (and not-so-endearing) nicknames did make my heart swell with warmth.

    I have nieces and nephews who call me "Auntie Cindy" or "their favourite aunt" if they really want to suck up to me. I always used to say to one nephew that we went together like macaroni and cheese ... and only a few nights ago he signed an e-mail with "I love you, macaroni."

    Then I remembered a time while working in Ottawa. I was rambling on to some friends/colleagues about the word "JOY" ... it's my favourite word in the English language. And then I blurted out, "I wish my mom had named me Joy." To which my friend Perry said, "Then you'd be called Joy Roy." And that nickname stuck.

    And I had a friend in high school, my best male friend, who always called me "Cin." It was easy-going and simple and he was the only one who called me that. Twenty years later at our high school reunion, I heard that familiar voice say, "Hi Cin" and my heart was overcome with emotion. It was like getting a big bear hug.

    And now I have my new personas of "Cindy Lou Who" and "Thing 2" ... new disguises to wear that have incredibly fun memories attached to them. New names, new memories and many more to come, I hope.

    Thanks, Thing 1, for the stroll down memory lane! It was a nice head space to be in today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In turn, you brought me joy by sharing your reaction to my blog post, Cindy Lou.

    It is great fun to hear that one of my scribblings made you feel big bear hugs and heart swelling. And as a KD fan, I love the macaroni nickname!
    .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms