Spotting full rainbows

That’s right, the full ones. Not a partial arc that disappears into the clouds. Not the mini ones from dishsoap bubbles. Certainly not the wannabes formed in oil puddles.

I’m talking about the perfect semicircles arcing high into the sky and displaying red right on through to violet. Now the scientists I work with would argue that there is a full spectrum of colour, not distinct colours or bands of colour. That may be scientifically accurate, but I choose to see red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple.

Beyond the visual beauty of rainbows, I also choose to believe they signify many other things. Not necessarily pathways to a pot of gold, but hope and magical endings.

My childhood buddy Kermit the Frog saw rainbows as much more than optical illusions. When he belted out “The Rainbow Connection,” he sang about the pull to be something more. The lyrics clearly state that “someday we’ll find it.” So even if we cannot pinpoint what IT is yet, according to Jim Hensen’s green Muppet, “There’s something that I’m supposed to be.”

On Monday evening, I called Mike over to our patio doors. Behind our house was an enormous rainbow with a second complete rainbow within it. They were utterly breathtaking and Kermie-like reminders to dream and believe rather than ignore the rainbow.

AWESOME!

Comments

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms