Indoor picnics

Ever been stumped for what to make for dinner?
May I recommend one of my favourites?
The indoor picnic.

I love it when we scour the fridge and the pantry, only to haul out just about anything that looks readily munchable.

Olives and gherkins, crackers and fresh bread, hummus and tapenade, an assortment of cheese, raw veggies, fresh berries, clementines, and maybe even a small bowl of corn chips. (Who are we kidding? This is a picnic. Forget the bowl and just toss the chip bag on the counter.

There may not be a picnic table or a checkered blanket on the ground, but that hodgepodge of food beckons from the kitchen island. We circle the island with paper towels in hand, perch on bar stools and enjoy the smorgasbord. Then we chat and reach for more.

Indoor picnics are informal, insect-free and delicious. To make the experience even better, tidying up involves some crumbs and compost, but there are no pots to scrub.

AWESOME!

Comments

  1. In "The Color Purple", Pulitzer Prize winning author Alice Walker wrote “Tea to the English is really a picnic indoors.”

    I agree, but afternoon tea is a somewhat more civilized picnic than the one I described in my random rambling above. Not that I'd turn away scones, jams and cream during my casual picnics. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! YES! YES! I heart the indoor picnic, especially when it means clearing the fridge of almost-finished sauces or containers of food. I usually eat the indoor picnic while hunched over the fridge, scouting out my next victim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, you're right about the sauces, Marlena. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who delights in picnicking at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For anyone reading this entry after dinnertime on the 22nd, well I had to update the original post to include photographic evidence of tonight's picnic.

    When I came home from work today, a picnic (complete with corn chips in the upper right-hand corner) awaited me. Yes, my attentive hubby rocks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms