The miniature and mystical

The world of the tiny is intriguing and mystical.

Think of the staying power of mesmerizing stories such as Mary Norton's The Borrowers, John Petersen's The Littles, J.R.R. Tolkien's hobbits, the Lilliputians in Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels, and of course, we musn't forget Alice's adventure in minisculeness after she drank from the "drink me" bottle in Lewis Carroll's classic tale.   

Even Hollywood had a hit with Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Not that I'm saying that movie is on par with the books mentioned above.

Yesterday, I found toadstools in my garden. Their caps aren't red with white polka dots, but perhaps it's still a sign that wee folk, gnomes or other mystical creatures live in our woods. Granted they haven't formed a ring. All the same, I'll keep an eye out for Shakespeare's "demi-puppets" as I muck about in the garden.

Toadstools and a fairy dusting of

      AWESOME!

Have any tales or signs of the tiny ever kept you spellbound?

Comments

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms