An abundance of apples

My bushel of Honeycrisp apples from
Balderston's Family Farm
(Prince Edward Island)

Kah-runch! 
Dribble, dribble, dribble. 

After biting into an fruit, it's easy to get distracted by that tart or sweet taste, leaving nothing to stop juice from pouring down your chin, your wrist and your shirt. 

If you've only sampled an apple or two so far this fall, then get out to your local orchard, farm or market to stock up on more fresh apples.

During the other 10 to 11 months of the year, you'll pine for apples as tasty as the ones available now.
Beyond the flavour, here are some added bonuses: 
  • The selection of varieties (gone are the days when you could find only Red Delicious, Galas and Macs)
  • No storage and no transport = minimal bruising
  • Principal ingredients for autumnal comfort foods (Did someone say "Crumble" or am I fantasizing again?)
 An abundance of apples adds up to
      AWESOME!

I favour Honeycrisp apples. Which ones do you prefer? 






Comments

  1. Have you tried SweeTango? It's a Nova Scotia apple that's a mix of Honeycrisp and Zestar, introduced only in 2009. My fave WAS Honeycrisp, until I met SweeTango. Yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't find any local orchards with SweeTango. I may need to wait until my next Halifax visit.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms