Grown-up drinks

Source: etsy.com via Jennifer’s Pinterest board
Put down that sippy cup. Set aside those primary-coloured Tupperware tumblers.


Few can resist succumbing to the lure of a fancy glass topped by a bendy straw, citrus slices, a paper umbrella or a plastic sword skewering maraschino cherries.

My grown-up foods entry in April 2011 didn’t spark a flurry of emails or online comments, but I bet many of you remember your earliest grown-up drinks.  
 
Where were you when someone introduced you to a mocktail? Who poured your earliest cup of tea or coffee? What was your first taste of wine like?
 
I hear brandy, surprisingly not sherry, would quiet me when I was an infant (Thank you, Mom-mom) and family photos, videos and tales represent me as a baby motivated to learn to crawl and walk based on my desire to reach beer bottles.  
 
But, what I recall is feeling like a proper young lady when family ordered me a Shirley Temple at the White Oaks Mall Ponderosa and at the Table Rock restaurant in Niagara Falls.

Cheers to those drinks that catapulted you, even if for only a brief time, into the adult world.
 
      AWESOME!

Source: sheknows.com via Pinterest

Comments

  1. I recall feeling giddy huddled under a table with Laura McKay at church sipping tea (that was mostly sugar). :)

    My favourite memory of adult drinks was at Yolanda Squire's wedding, when my mom very graciously turned to me as the wine was being passed around and asked "You prefer red, right?" Made me feel like a welcomed adult at the table & such a classy way to let me know I was allowed a drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you two would often sit beneath those stackable tables at St. Tim's. I'm sure mom and Jolanda would get a kick out of knowing that you have a fond memory from the wedding.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms