Remakes that become hits in their own right


lennykravitz.com © 2012 Roadrunner Records
Before bands and artists make names for themselves, they often rely on someone else’s material to move audiences. But it’s rare to find singers who can match or outshine a genuine hit.

Tribute bands try to earn a living by impersonating original artists (their sound, outfits and moves). While tribute bands may acquire their own followings, they never rival the real deal.

This post salutes those artists who stretch beyond mimicry. They succeed by being true to their own style and adapting a hit from one era or a specific genre. Their remakes reach different audiences, breathe new life into already popular tunes, and emerge as fresh hits.

Here are examples of remakes that became chart-topping songs in their own right:
  • Lenny Kravitz’s “American Woman” (original recorded by Canadian rock legends The Guess Who)
  • In the 1990s, the late Jeff Healey shook up the billboard with “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” (the Canadian bluesy rocker even managed to get the original artist, George Harrison of Beatles fame, to sing back-up lyrics).
  • Rocker Dilana singing Time after Time (original by 1980s pop star Cyndi Lauper)  
  • Guns ‘n Roses took “Knockin on Heaven’s Door,” a Bob Dylan hit, and moved it into the realm of hard rock.
  • Karaoke versions of Sonny and Cher’s “I Got You Babe” are a dime a dozen, but UB40 and Chrissy Hynde’s reggae-inspired version of “I Got You Babe” topped the charts and resuscitated the song for 1980s and 1990s audiences.
  • k.d. lang performs a powerful rendition of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah,” and as you know from a previous blog post, PEI’s Kelley Mooney, with permission and accolades from Leonard Cohen, adapted the songs lyrics with outstanding results too.
When remakes don’t make you yearn for the original recording, well that proves an artist is truly

      AWESOME!!!

 
Can you think of remakes that knocked your socks off? If so, let me and other readers know by sharing through the comments section below.

Comments

  1. Love GnR's version of Knocking on Heaven's Door!

    My top remakes are Johnny Cash covering Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus" and Metallica's version of Bob Seger's "Turn the Page". In my blasphemous opinion, I like the remakes better than the originals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choices, Wendy. A healthy dose of blasphemy serves us well. ;-)

      Delete
  2. My friend Karen just wrote to tell me that "Venus" by Bananarama was a cover of a 1969 song by Shocking Blue. See this is why I blog. You guys teach me cool stuff. Thanks.

    I should have noted in my blog that while I don't remember original hits by The Shondells, I am fond of two remakes of that band's songs:
    * "Crimson and Clover" - Joan Jett
    * "Mony Mony" - Billy Idol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to Tom, I've discovered a Covers Project at www.coversproject.com tracing the roots and influences of songs from A to Z.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms