Odd trees

Has an odd-looking tree ever stopped you in your tracks?

Whenever I visit Vancouver, I can't resist snapping photos of the monkey trees. If you make it out that way, watch for towering evergreens with branches shaped like monkey tails. Really.

Somehow photos never capture just how silly these trees look. For the curious, google the Araucaria araucana, affectionately known as the Monkey Puzzle tree. It's native to South America and related to the Norfolk Pine. According to Wikipedia, people in Argentina and Chile consider the tree to be sacred.

Recently, I howled with laughter when I spotted a ridiculous tree with bottle-brush blooms. After snapping a bunch of pictures, including the one below, I scurried off to explore the rest of San Diego. 

Then, after arriving home from my digital-detox vacation, I tried my luck at googling "bottle brush tree" and found just what I needed. 

Meet the Callistemon rigidus, which as it turns out is a shrub, not a tree. Native to Australia, the shrub is commonly known as the Stiff Bottlebrush


Perhaps some of the commonplace trees we have at home appear to be oddities for people from other parts of the world. Well, no matter where you're rooted, bizarre trees that arrest your attention are

      AWESOME!!!

Can you think of any trees worthy of a double take?

Comments

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms