Wagging away worries


 
Source: dailymail.co.uk via Is Marraconis on Pinterest
Health practitioners, nursing home staff and early-childhood educators have long recognized the positive powers of pet therapy, and I don't mean that in the Hollywoodized, my-chihuahua-needs-psychotherapy sense.




 



Studies continue to show that a minimum of 20  minutes interacting with a dog can lower blood-pressure rates, reduce crankiness and improve social behaviours of the elderly, children and patients from all walks of life.

Last week, I heard about efforts to bring similar benefits to over-caffeinated, sleep-deprived, overwhelmed, post-secondary students.


My alma mater tweeted that McGill's Redpath Library (@McGillLib) staff set up a room for students to hang out with therapeutic dogs as an exam de-stressor. I'm sure that the Brandy, Whiskey, Elvis and the other canine participants made a world of difference. To seal the deal, there was free hot chocolate at peak times. 

Decades ago, when I frequented Redpath, the only dogs allowed were guide dogs, so I sought out my own pet therapy. My walk from campus to my apartment took me by an independent jewelery shop. I used to pop in the store, not to shop, but to meet a friend: the shop owner's nearly blind husky. 

Since the jeweler worked long hours, his husky spent most days sprawled on the shop's floor. The dog needed to stretch his legs, and I craved time away from my studies and work, so we were a great match.

Now, I don't recall the dog's name (how I wish I could), but I'll never forget how terrific I felt after spending time walking the streets of Montréal with that husky. Literally, the blind leading the...

I'm sure the exercise and fresh air contributed to my improved state of mind, but I hoofed it around la belle ville regularly, so on those mornings or afternoons, I knew pet therapy was the primary cause.

During the holidays, it can feel like life is spinning out of control. Since the Hanukkah and Christmas seasons are underway, I prescribe pet therapy. Schedule time to snuggle up with your own pet. Don’t have one? Visit a friend's pet, or go volunteer at a local animal shelter or with St. John Ambulance's Therapy Dog Service, even if for only 30 minutes per week, or per two weeks. I guarantee you’ll notice the difference.

Unleashing the power of pet therapy is...

      PAWESOME!



Resources:

Comments

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms