When a jewel of a place adds more enchantment

Every once in a while, a special place becomes extra delightful. That's exactly what I witnessed this past weekend. 

We're fortunate to have breathtaking views on Prince Edward Island. While the shores and ocean views are incredible, I consider New Glasgow to be one of PEI's jewels.

Tourists know the village for its New Glasgow lobster suppers and the PEI Preserve Company. Golfers know about the Glasgow Hills course, because everyone receives free mussels after every round of golf. Families make the trek to visit the Toy Factory, where you can buy handcrafted wooden toys, including a ferry or a lobster boat.

I enjoy driving to and through New Glasgow. I marvel at the rolling hills, parceled fields, and all the birds feeding and nesting along the Clyde River, which meanders through the village. However, Sunday's drive to New Glasgow exceeded my expectations, because of a magical new addition. 

The butterfly house. I finally checked it out, and am I ever glad I did.

Inside, the small building teams with remarkable, delicate creatures from Costa Rica. Orange slices and colourful flowers are as abundant as the resident butterflies.

To encourage the tropical insects to flutter actively about the house, the butterfly keepers maintain a warm, humid environment. The flutterers oblige visitors by flying from plates of fruits to shoulders, hands, screens, benches, plants, etc. 

Just when I thought I had seen all the varieties, a new kind would float on by me. I was mesmerized. Aside from fretting about how my camera would fare in the moist room, I could have stayed for hours on end. 

I didn't think that New Glasgow could be more of a jewel, but thanks to the butterfly house, there's a whole new layer of enchantment.

      AWESOME!!!

P.S. If you have six dollars burning a hole in your pocket, then drive on out to the New Glasgow Butterfly House (parking entrance is just above the PEI Preserve Co. and the Gardens of Hope).

P.P.S. Too far away to drop in before the season ends in mid-September? Then add the Butterfly House to your list of many reasons to visit the Island next year. Until then, here are some photos I snapped there to tide you over.









Comments

  1. You should ask Tourism PEI for some funding. You are making people want to visit the New Glasgow Metropolitan area.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though meant as a joke, it isn't!! I have already written to my parents asking them to join me on a road trip. My scottish mum will appreciate the geographic references and I'll be thrilled at all the butterflies.... I'm going. It's officially on my bucket list, thanks to Lise!
      Liz

      Delete
    2. You're so enterprising, Colin. Don't tell my hubby the entrepreneur that I love this gorgeous province enough to "market" it for free. Gasp.

      Delete
    3. Any excuse to visit me is a good excuse, Liz. We could even break out the tartans, scotch of all kinds and anything else beyond the place name to make your mom feel at home.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms