Trail systems

Tourists and residents take advantage of the Confederation Trail, Prince Edward Island's former railway line. The system spans the length of Canada's smallest province and includes offshoots to villages and attractions.

Trail in the Gatineau Hills
 I'm lucky the Confed Trail cuts through campus, so I can get exercise during my lunch break. I can also spot chickadees and warblers nearly as often as I see red foxes and bald eagles.

On the opposite side of the country, my sister and brother-in-law build and maintain trails for mountain bikers. Unlike PEI's pastoral and shore views, the North Vancouver trails cut through mountain terrain dotted with towering Western Red Cedars and potentially dangerous wildlife.

When I lived in la belle ville, trails lined the Lachine Canal to lead Montrealers and visitors to tourist hot spots and commuting destinations. (Thank you, Parks Canada!) I love that the metropolitan city also had trails up Mount Royal, where I could see people taking a break from the buzz of everyday life.

So many cyclists are eager to explore Canada by bike that my step-dad customizes routes for them. By providing them with guides and custom maps, he presents ideal roads and trails across diverse regions. 

I know I'm not alone in enjoying trail systems. Even though I choose to hike them, it is great to see people of all ages out running, in-line skating, biking, and at certain times of year, even snowmobiling. The terrain and sights may vary from place to place, but we are ever so fortunate to have elaborate and well-kept trail systems.

      AWESOME!!!

What's your favourite trail? Comment away below.
Cutie peers at nature through a magnifying glass


Comments

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms