Independent bookstores

It's easy to lose track of time in the aisles at Chapters/Indigo stores, spend hours surfing Amazon, or disappear for a day in a library, but I encourage you, whenever possible, to choose to support independent bookstores too.

Chances are high that inside you'll discover well-informed staff who are passionate about books. Many independents differentiate themselves from discounters and the competition through specialization and quality, rather than quantity of sales.

You can find independents with outstanding collections of children's literature, works by regional or local authors, comics, poetry, spiritual texts, gallery-worthy art books and even rare books. 

My favourites:
  • The Bookmark: Maritimers recognize this independent bookstore. After opening in Charlottetown in 1972, the owners expanded to open a Halifax store. Book signings, local content and much more. My source for Moleskin notebooks and bibliomania novelties.
  • Nicholas Hoare: Beyond the obvious bookish reasons for loving these stores, you can also meet feathered friends tucked inside the store birdcages (Now that I'm too far away to pop by for a visit, I follow Nicholas Hoare's tweets.)   [Sadly, as of April 2013, Nicholas Hoare stores no longer exist.]
  • ParagrapheI frequented this Montréal store with Melanie during my university days. Paragraphe has changed hands now, and I'm not sure it can ever be as cozy as it once was, but it will always be the first bookstore-café combo I experienced.
  • McNally Robinson: Folks in the Prairies are fortunate to have these exceptional bookstores. And I'm lucky that a special person introduced me to McNally Robinson, took me to a Winnipeg location on many occasions and sent me a just-for-fun package containing the book bag shown in today's photo.
  • The Strand: Since 1927, New Yorkers and tourists have poured through countless books in this landmark store. The Strand now boasts "18 miles of new, used and rare books" -- incredible!
Whichever books make you tick, there's an independent bookstore for you. Do saunter in, peruse the shelves and strike up a conversation with someone whose knowledge may bowl you over.

And, remember to reward the independents by leaving with a purchase. 

   

Use the comments section below to share the name of your favourite indie bookstore. That way we can all gain suggestions of other bookstores to check out. Happy reading.  

Comments

  1. The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. polled its listeners to come up with Canada's Top 10 Bookstores http://www.cbc.ca/books/2011/08/your-top-10-favourite-canadian-bookstores.html

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check those out, Karen. Thanks for sharing the link.

      Delete
  2. My top 3

    Partners & Crime Mystery Booksellers (crimepays.com) in New York City

    City Lights in San Fran (citylights.com)

    Elliott Bay Book Co. in Seattle (elliottbaybook.com)

    Drop in.

    Lise - Thank you for blogging!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like I have destinations for future trips to the U.S. Thanks for sharing these three recommendations, Dave.

      Delete
  3. I have fond, fond memories of lingering at Nicholas Hoare in Ottawa. My cousin introduced me to the place ... told it was one of the must-visit locations in Ottawa. I'm sad to recently hear that they'll be closing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your cousin is wise.
      I hadn't heard about the closure, but you're right. I found an article stating that they shuttered the Ottawa store in April. The Montreal one is scheduled to close in December 2012. That leaves only the Toronto location. Sigh.

      Delete
  4. Powell's in Portland. Where else can you can lose your entire family in one store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh hells ya!

      I miss Powell's. *sniff*

      Delete
    2. I am good at getting lost, but did I get so far astray that I missed out on a family reunion in a bookstore?

      Perhaps I was asleep, on the opposite coast, during all the fun. ;-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms