Gardening

It’s hard to pinpoint why, but toiling away in gardens is one of the few chores I enjoy.

I love puttering in gardens. The sun doesn’t even need to shine. Rain showers release the cedar scent from the mulch and loosen the soil to make my work easier going.

Sure, my clothes and hands get filthy. Biting insects feast on me. My back, neck and hamstrings remind me that I’m no spring chicken. And weeds grow back faster than I can pull them.

But none of that matters when I see leaves unfurl and blooms pop.

Novelist and poet May Sarton summed it up beautifully, “Everything that slows us down and forces patience, everything that sets us back into the slow circles of nature, is a help. Gardening is an instrument of grace.”

      AWESOME!!!

Comments

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms