Adornments

I am amazed that according to the journal Science, bedecking ourselves in jewellery dates back to at least 90,000 years ago.

In more recent times (the past 5,300 years or so), body art has become another way to adorn our bodies. People shifted from just wearing adornments to painting them directly onto skin. The early Egyptians began applying cosmetics to temporarily emphasize features, but others went for more permanent adornments—tattoos.

Although body art is considered quite mainstream today, during the 19th and 20th centuries people associated tattoos primarily with sailors, secret societies, criminals, outcasts (think Nathaniel Hawthorne’s Hector Prynne) and hard-core rock stars. 

Prior to those sub-culture associations, tattoos held cultural, spiritual, hierarchical and personal significance. Polynesians, the Celts, Aboriginals in New Zealand, Australia and the Americas, the Japanese and others inked their skin with varied symbols.

My tattoo connection only dates back to my grade-eight year. That’s when I decided I wanted a tattoo and I knew it would be a shark. I remember the exact year, because we were reading The Count of Monte Cristo in class.  

When I was old enough to get my tattoo, I realized I wanted a tribal tattoo rather than a multi-coloured, modern one. During two trips to French Polynesia, I tried to get a traditional Polynesian-styled tattoo. (Alas, snorkelling priorities and national holidays prevailed.)

Fortunately for me, my hubby whisked me off to Hawaii this spring. There, my longtime dream became a lifetime adornment, and I checked number three off my life list.

Now, when I gaze at my tattoo, I grin and think of my twelve-year-old self fantasizing about ink-based ornamentation.

     AWESOME!!!

P.S. I knew my Hawaiian tattoo artist was the right one for me when I spotted in his work area photos of former Habs whom he had tattooed.  
P.P.S. Nobody needs to see a close-up shot of my leg, but for a better view of my tat, you can click on my avatar (Thanks to PhotoShop, I could invert my tattoo emphasizing the deep blue ink and hiding my skin tone

P.P.P.S. My chosen motifs combine to make up a shark’s silhouette. I'm happy to chat offline about my motivations and the meanings behind the motifs. 

Comments

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms