TV, radio and movie specials with the potential to become Christmas classics

It’s odd that most of the Christmas classics tend to be ones filmed back in the 1940s through to the late 1960s. Here are some examples of the major ones:

·          Holiday Inn (1942)
·          It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)
·          Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
·          Scrooge (1951)
·          White Christmas (1954)
·          Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)
·          The Sound of Music (1965)
·          A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)
·          How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)
·          Frosty the Snowman (1969)
When it comes to Christmas shows, I’m a self-professed snob. Sorry, but that Ron Howard and Jim Carey version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas just doesn’t cut it. Call me old-school, but it has to be the Dr. Seuss-Boris Karloff special or nothing at all. 

A few works can leave room for different performances or remakes. I’ve already written about how much I love listening to “The Happy Prince” on CBC radio. That 1888 tale by Oscar Wilde has been animated, filmed and broadcasted countless times. The likes of Bing Crosby, Orson Welles and Christopher Plummer have each narrated “The Happy Prince” and I wouldn’t turn my nose up at any of those versions.

But apart from the 1940-1960 classics, successful Christmas specials seem to be few and far between. Not that there haven’t been attempts.

Yes, examples of Christmas flops abound. I’m a Star Wars fan, but if you want to see and hear hokey defined, then check out the 1978 The Star Wars Holiday Special (embedded video link below). I’m quite sure this production would have ‘earned’ Chewie, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker, C3P0, R2D2 and Jefferson Starship a Razzie award if the Razzies had existed back in the late 1970s. Any wonder George Lucas didn’t get involved.


Happily, once in a while, talented people introduce new Christmas shows with the potential to become classics. In 1992, Brian Hensen pulled it off by directing his late father’s friends, Kermie and the gang, along with Michael Caine in The Muppet Christmas Carol.

I’d venture that other relatively recent specials with this potential include:
  • Polar Express (2004)
  • Love Actually (2003)
  • Merry Christmas, Mr. Bean (1992)
  • Home Alone (1990)
Have any other additions?             

Well, as Dr. Seuss said, "“Welcome, Christmas, bring your cheer. Cheer to all Whos far and near. Christmas Day is in our grasp, so long as we have hands to clasp. Christmas Day will always be just as long as we have we. Welcome Christmas while we stand, heart to heart, and hand in hand."

Whatever your favourites may be, do take the time to sit back to experience some Christmas spirit with a side of
       AWESOME!

Comments

  1. Merry Madagascar (if you're young/young-at-heart)

    Love Actually seems to be on our list, after having watched it several times with Dorothy at Christmas...

    I thought A Christmas Story would be on your list too, though I'm glad Christmas vacation didn't make your list. While it's funny to watch a squirrel in your Christmas tree, it's more painful than funny to watch...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Actually makes me smile just thinking about getting to watch it again.

    I have to disagree with Polar Express. That movie creeps me out. They shouldn't have tried to make the character look like Tom Hanks. Makes me shudder just thinking about it...

    I will definitely miss watching White Christmas with a sister this year. *sigh* It's great to have such good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eloise with Julie Andrews as nanny!!! fun and cute,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colin and Anonymous: I don't recall ever watching "A Christmas Story" or "Eloise", but I'll add them to my list of must-see flicks for 2012.

    Colin: Silly me for accidentally leaving "Merry Madagascar" off my list. I still have the DVD you gave us. I agree that Chevy Chase, while silly, fails to meet my Christmas classic criteria.

    Rachelle: Sorry to read that the likeness to Tom Hanks spoiled your "Polar Express" experience. I love the bells, the overall message and the animation stands apart from other styles. As you say, at least you have positive "White Christmas" and "Love Actually" memories to cherish instead.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms