Mist

Whether blanketing a valley, suspending across a waterway or curling along a field, mist strikes me as other worldly.

It's as though a mythical creature or a character from a Jack Whyte, Philippa Gregory, Ken Follet or Marion Zimmer Bradley novel may suddenly step out from the mist. Any wonder photographers, painters and authors often include ethereal mist in their works.

I've always loved gazing out across a misty river, lake or ocean from a canoe, kayak, boat or ship. Sounds are somewhat muffled, but you can often hear birds or aquatic life stirring in the mist long before you spot anything. Unless you're seeking Nessie, you'll eventually be rewarded for your patience as something flutters down through the mist to settle on the water or maybe pokes out from between the water and mist layers.

Beyond appreciating mist's visual beauty, I love that you can also feel mist as you pass through it. Unlike fog or smog, mist doesn't envelope or weigh down on you. Instead, mist flutters about you as you walk or sail through it.

My most vivid mist experience happened back in the mid-1990s. My husband and I lived in a home adjacent to a community park. I recall us dancing and spinning around in that park's mist while lights reflected and refracted from the baseball diamond and nearby traffic. That park dipped much lower than the surrounding sidewalk, so when mist appeared we could stand above it or venture right down into the filmy droplets. 

      AWESOME!

This past weekend, I tried to photograph the magic of morning mist, but I wasn't satisfied with any of my pictures. Until I succeed at capturing mist's beauty, here is a link to a collection of mist images by professional photographers.

Comments

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms