Women who rock

They aren't wallflowers. Of the 15 female performers below, the majority are still belting out tunes decades after their first chart-topping hits.

I'll let these women use their powerful voices to prove they’re

     AWESOME!


Joan Jett



Sass Jordan



Annie Lennox



Chrissie Hynde



Pat Benatar



Debbie Harry (a.k.a., Blondie)



Ann Wilson



Lee Aaron



Annie Woods



Alannah Myles



Aretha Franklin



Madonna



Carole Pope



Sheryl Crow



Cher




I realize that new talent, from the mid-1990s to the present, is noticeably absent. I considered adding Fergie, given her performances with Slash, Black Eyed Peas and Ann Wilson. So, who would you add to my list of women who rock?

Comments

  1. You're missing Carole King!!! I think Fiest would also be a good addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good suggestions, Marlena. Even though Carole King tends to sing ballads and slower songs, there's no doubt she has a powerful voice. I love her duets with James Taylor.

    As for Feist, she's kind of mellow, but she ranks as rockin' cool in my books following her "Sesame Street" appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby, the 1960s and 1970s music aficionado, insists that Janis Joplin should rank right up there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend Cindy G. suggests Canadian songstress Luba should be added to this list too. That name certainly takes me back to the 1980s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend Cindy R. pointed out that I forgot about Tina Turner. Shame on me!

    Apart from Tina's own music and sold-out concerts, she appeared in THE rock opera Tommy, starred in and performed the soundtrack for "Mad Max beyond the Thunderdome," earned eight Grammy awards, and Rolling Stone magazine recognizes her rock dominance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joan Jett recently performed "Bad Reputation" with the Foo Fighters on David Letterman. Is it just me, or does she look and sound far better than the FF crew?
    http://youtu.be/XJARlX5vAZM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms