Traditions

As a child, Easter wasn’t about overdosing on chocolate. Admittedly, back then I was envious of classmates who brought their cocoa hauls in their lunch boxes, but now I appreciate our family’s traditions.

For us, Easter was about new skipping ropes, hot cross buns, matching handmade Sunday dresses for the sisters, Easter lilies next to the altar, and scrumptious meals with family and friends.

Now, my knees protest when I jump rope and my domestic skills are sorely lacking when it comes to cooking and sewing. But I still long for our traditions, especially the sisters part.

Whenever possible, I try to spend Easter with my sisters. This year I must settle for a virtual visit, provided that we can set up a three-way Skype session to span three time zones and varied schedules.

Apart from the siblings bit, I’ve started my Easter weekend with hot cross buns, lilies and a stroll past a park where girls were skipping rope. And tomorrow, I will have Sunday dinner with good friends.

Traditions,with or without chocolate, are sweet and

AWESOME!

Comments

  1. You are well loved and well missed, my dearest sister! We'll be on skype today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fabulous weather for the Easter long weekend. I enjoyed a great dinner with friends with whom we've celebrated the past four Easters.

    I also managed to catch one sister via Skype, chatted with mom (who informed me that I also used to receive new socks every Easter -- who knew?) and left a voicemail for my other sister.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms