When old-fashioned expressions creep into modern-day conversations

A couple of weeks ago at work, I blurted out the word “skedaddle” while talking to a colleague and a spirited university student. In that instant I felt 60 years her senior.

Then, just yesterday a friend told me about her young niece’s reaction to the expression “arse over tea kettle.” I heart that expression. It makes me giggle every time I hear it.

Those two instances made me think about other terms from the past, which sometimes find their back way into our vocabulary. For me “noggin” and “bugger all” conjure up memories of my grandfather. It makes me smile whenever I catch myself uttering either of those expressions.

My move to Atlantic Canada has introduced me to choice sayings. The oddest among them has to be “It’s as cold as a witch’s tit.” I’m not sure how long that expression has been kicking around, but I’m guessing that it has been quite some time.

Got any old-fashioned expressions that creep into your vocab all “willy-nilly”? You know, you’re chatting away and everything’s going “tickety boo” when all of a sudden some word pops out of the blue.

Call me a “nosey Parker” I want to know what proverbs and silly words may have influenced you or cracked you up. Don’t be “hoity toity” – just spill it, I want to know the whole “kit and caboodle.”

Let silliness reign…

AWESOME!

Comments

  1. I felt I must answer lickety-split! Thank you for giving me a laugh to start my day, Lise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah freg! I forgot what I was going to write. Oh no wait... that was it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job home slice. Thanks for giving us the low down on how to translate stuff that is totally whack. Peace out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the fun additions, anonymous posters!

    Here are a few of the other responses I received via email...

    - Lord love a duck
    - Whatchamacallit
    - Thingamajig
    - Hunky dorey
    - Keep the house facing the road

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms