Treasured, goofy decorations

You haul them out only once a year. They make you smile or evoke fond memories. You’ve had them for as long as you can remember.

I’m sure if you think hard enough you will recall at least one decoration you’ve cherished even though it borders on garish. Maybe it is something you take out at Christmas, Hanukkah, Chinese New Year or St. Patrick’s Day.

For me, that would my beloved pear.

Yes, I said pear. Even the attached photo doesn’t do it justice.



My pear is velour coated, except in wear spots around its holly leaves. Frayed, gold trimming surrounds an opening in the front of my pear. Tucked inside is a plastic angel. She sports faded paint, and I’ve had to re-glue her to the pear on a number of occasions.

Now I don’t know what possessed someone to think that a pear is an ideal home for an angel. Nor can I imagine why a gold velvety exterior was deemed to be festive and desirable.

Regardless, my pear has adorned many a Christmas tree in various homes, across provinces and decades. It’s goofy, treasured, and in its own way,

AWESOME!

Comments

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms