Experiencing a classic movie during a different stage of life

This fall, a friend of mine started inviting the girls over to re-experience favourite films, enjoy movie-related appetizers and have a social. She lets each of us choose movies, which range from true classics to cult classics, and our selections air in her basement theatre every two weeks.

Initially, I thought what a great idea. Perhaps I’ll meet new people and be introduced to films I wouldn’t have necessarily chosen on my own.

I was right on those accounts, but something completely unexpected also happened. Turns out I experience films in a different way at this stage of my life, compared to let’s say when I was in university, high school or whatever.

Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised, but I find it fascinating that I take note of things I would have missed all those years ago, or that I can relate to characters in new and odd ways. Back in the day, I likely paid more attention to the soundtracks, eye-candy actors, fashions and one-liners.

Sure, the lit major in me watched for symbolism back then, but now I seem to appreciate these works of art on a few extra levels, not to say that I no longer notice the musical scores, the outfits, and classic catch phrases.

Last night’s flick was “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” and a few weeks ago we watched “To Kill a Mockingbird.” What a joy to re-connect with these stories, even if it is through a surprisingly different lens of life experience. Add in some mimosas, homemade pastries, great company and loads of laughs…

AWESOME!

P.S. Any classic movie suggestions for me?

Comments

  1. So true. Thx!
    Does "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" count as classic?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms