Today is Thesaurus Day

Now that anyone can easily search online for a word's definition or synonym, I wonder if people appreciate the thesaurus in the same way that we did in pre-Internet times.

I can say that I'm still a fan. Although I use thesaurus.com when I'm on the go, I keep print copies of Roget's Thesaurus and the Oxford Concise Thesaurus on hand in my home office. 

Browsing through a thesaurus is rewarding, because you trip across unexpected gems. Not unlike how browsing in a bookstore helps you discover unexpected finds compared to the in-and-out efficiency of ordering a book online. 

Today, I learned that January 18 marks Thesaurus Day. The date is no accident; Thesaurus Day coincides with the anniversary of Peter Mark Roget's birth in 1779. 

Mental Floss published Ten Fascinating Facts about the Thesaurus, which includes the word's origin: Greek for treasure. How fitting.

In the past, I associated January 18 with A.A. Milne's birthday (1882). Now, I have two writing-related reasons to mark the day. 

Happy Thesaurus Day and Creator-of-Pooh Day.

Reference book spines, including Roget's Thesaurus and the Oxford Concise Thesaurus, on Plum Copy's book shelf


Comments

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms