Blaze of glory

When I added #40 to my Lofty Life List, I wrote the entry as a lighthearted wish. I had zero expectations of ever brushing shoulders with one of my three larger-than-life heartthrobs: Hugh Jackman, Jon Bon Jovi and Lenny Kravitz.

Lucky for me, Bon Jovi's 2013 “Because We Can” tour afforded me the closest chance I think I'll ever get to meet one of the three guys on my list.

Bon Jovi set list and ticket
Yesterday evening, Jon and I shook hands as he headed up from the stage pit to the outer stage.
Serendipity played a part in the meeting, but I was also determined to make the trek to see Jon and his crew from New Jersey. With no stops in Atlantic Canada for the Bon Jovi tour, I decided to drive to the nearest venue, either Montréal or Ottawa. A road trip crossing thousands of kilometres in winter, why not?
After picking up decent 200-level tickets for the Ottawa show, I figured that was as close as I would get to Jon. This was an instance when I was glad to be wrong.
The day before the concert, a colleague hooked me up with tickets for the centre aisle in the pit, the seating area within the Bon Jovi stage, frequented by hard-core fans and VIPs. I had a brief window of opportunity to obtain those primo tickets, and with positive persuasion from Liz, I followed my gut. No regrets.
End result: an unforgettable evening of rocking out with Bon Jovi.
Last night, instead of my fortysomething self, I felt like an 18-year-old groupie at heart. Although admittedly, as I danced the night away, my middle-aged knees gave away that my youth is far behind me.
I’m not the only one getting old. Jon looked beat by the time the ballads and encores rolled around, but throughout the evening his vocals sounded like recording quality. And, despite being 50 years old, he has aged well in the looks department. Somehow Jon’s even easier on the eyes today than he was in his twenties or thirties.   
The band’s hits, whether old or new, are just as much fun. The music drove us concert-goers to our feet, flailing our arms and belting out the tunes.
Overall, the evening exceeded my expectations. Getting to share it with loved ones was a tremendous bonus. My Jon encounter (and checking #40 off my Life List) was nothing short of
     a blaze of glory!

Jon Bon Jovi co-wrote "Lay Your Hands on Me," so last night I obliged. (Apologies for my sweaty palms, Jon.) The blurry photo in the lower right-hand corner of my collage shows me, Jon and a security guard just seconds before our meeting.

My pictures are complemented by some of Cindy's photos. Thanks to her for capturing the photo with me as well as ones of the band's good-night bow and Jon pinpointed by all the spotlights.


SaveSave

Comments

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms