School bus drivers

Today’s rambling is inspired by the following two tweets I read earlier this morning:


Ian and Darlene sound like a far cry from the life-endangering dude named Otto (from “The Simpsons” fame).

Let’s face it, not everyone is cut out for a career of coping with bullying, tears, whining, shouting, vomiting, repetitive singing and goodness knows what else. 

Fortunately, we can trust certain amazing individuals who are suited to driving those yellow buses and carry precious children to and from school daily.

Did a school bus driver ever make a positive difference in your life?

Mine never initiated water fights or took me for ice cream, but I recall drivers who were funny and supportive of shy kids. Two pluses in my books.

I also remember one bus driver who always stopped at a different spot to let off one little guy on our route. He would vary the drop off spot slightly to give one of my classmates a few seconds headstart to avoid the sidewalk full of rowdy secondary school students.

Lucky for me, there was also a firm, but kind school bus driver who made my job as a patroller WAAAAAAY easier than it would have been if Otto had been at the wheel. (Aside: Yes, I was that geeky. I wore the neon orange sash and tried to keep order during those long drives.)

School bus drivers or so-cool bus drivers?

      AWESOME!!!

Comments

  1. Thanks for the reminder Lise!
    Dora, my grade school driver wore WACKY hats. Every day she had a different hat. We loved her so much.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for yet another wonderful entry Lise. In my case, it was jovial Ralph Ellis who drove the bus - a man with a perpetual smile and a great sense of humour. Sometimes, Mr. Ellis also doubled as our rural mailman, enlisting different children as helpers along the way. I'll never forget the time Mr. Ellis convinced my older sister Yvonne that the top, somewhat different looking rung of a metal fence they had driven up to doubled as a long distance doorbell for the farm house up the hill.... He encouraged her to give it a good tug so that the homeowners would know that mail had been delivered down their long and winding laneway. It wasn't a doorbell at all of course, but an electrified rung to keep the pastured animals in check.... On another occasion, Mr. Ellis pulled up to the front of my family home with a bus load of children bearing pro Boston Bruins signs... all to annoy my Canadiens loving parents...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms