Bioluminescence

Every mating season, lightning bugs’ glowing abdomens mesmerize campers, naturalists, biologists and people who just happen to wander in the woods at the right time.

These beetles, also known as fireflies and Lampyridae, create an unforgettable display of bioluminescence. [Yeah, big scientific word meaning a creature produces light through a chemical reaction that doesn’t result in heat.] http://www.lifesci.ucsb.edu/~biolum/chem/

If you haven’t already witnessed these eerie critters twinkling in the darkness, try to catch a firefly light show. Go deep into the woods where the tree canopy blocks out the moon’s light.

Looking for another bioluminescence fix? I can also recommend New Zealand’s Waitomo Glowworm Caves. Years ago, Mike and I were fortunate to river raft through that limestone grotto to observe the glowworms (a.k.a. Arachnocampa luminosa) in Kiwi-land.

Now if I could only find an inexpensive and safe way to explore bioluminescent marine life. Until then, deep sea documentaries and image galleries must suffice.

Whatever glowing life forms you seek out, do let yourself be enthralled by the natural magic of bioluminescence.

     AWESOME!


Comments

  1. Thanks for this Lise - I always get a thrill when I happen to catch a few fireflies winking in and out of existence in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your awesome made me so happy!

    There are so many Fireflies around my barn at home and when I was little my dad used to catch them in a jar (with airholes) for me to use as a nightlight, then he’d set them free the next day. :-)

    I know it’s a weird little story to share but I thought you might appreciate it.

    Have a wonderful day!

    Lauren Kinghorn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thrills and chills, Kerri. I have no doubt you've seen many during your canoeing expeditions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your childhood anecdote is one to be cherished, Lauren. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms