Sad day

This afternoon, we found a dead Chickadee between one of our feeders and our car. We think that it is unlikely that it flew into the dark, tinted, filthy car windows. That leaves a few other causes: a predator (likely a quick barn cat), a bully at the feeder (the blue jays and starlings can be aggressive), or natural causes.

Whatever the reason, it broke my heart to see that limp little body lying in the snow. I know that chickadees aren't rare or endangered, but they are among my favourite wild birds. We have many chickadee families that hang out with us all year round. They are great fun to watch as they hide their sunflower seeds in every nook and cranny.
I don't shed a tear when the Goshawk picks off the Mourning Doves, but I get all choked up when fun birds meet their demise. Unfortunately, I know that this won't be the last bird that I'll find laying on the ground; there will be the odd fledglings that fall from nests this spring/summer. Farewell little chickadee.

Comments

Readers' faves

Any excuse to celebrate (my guest post on 1000 Awesome Friends)

Retweets for mental health

Ironing boards with quiet mechanisms